I found this about gastric band operations. It is worthwhile considering if you are interested in a quick fix weight loss solution.
I have seen lots of people whose gastric band, or gastric bypass surgery has ended up worse than the original weight problem. There are numerous reasons for this and this article above addresses some. Here are some stories I have personally come across:
- The gastric band was faulty and needed removal. They couldn’t put replace it until the scar tissue cleared. In the few months between times the weight flowed back on as the person went back to eating as she did previously. This proved that the band was only masking a bigger problem. This person was using eating to hide something else she didn’t want to face.
- After the op another person still ate the same amount of food and since the stomach couldn’t take that that quantity the food mounted up in the oesophagus, resulting in constant vomiting. In fact so much so that she had to factor in vomit time after food.
- People melting chocolate and other goodies just so they would go easily through the band, thus negating any benefit.
- No hospital emotional preparation – either before or after the surgery. People wished afterwards that they hadn’t had it done.
- A lot of money spent for quick weight loss but more money needed for surgery to take up all the loose skin, so be prepared for more than one lot of surgery.
So think carefully about quick fix weight loss. It may not be as quick fix as you would like it.